Thursday, February 2, 2012

Week in the Kitchen

3 things I learned while in the kitchen this week..
Let me start with the fact that last weekend I decided I was going to be very organized and find recipes for the week ahead with groceries purchased by Sunday.  I found three recipes online that were semi-healthy and approved by Andy.  I have a hard time finding recipes because I like unhealthy ingredients and I am a "somewhat" picky eater. Even picking out the recipes was somewhat of an accomplishment.  

1. I really do not like tomatoes.
Tuesday night's meal was a crock pot shrimp creole over rice.  I was looking for an easy seafood dish and this seemed to fit the criteria. Andy chopped all the ingredients and placed  them in the crock pot during lunch.  When I got home from work, the entire house smelled delicious and I couldn't wait for dinner.  I should have known when I looked at the recipe and saw tomato sauce and diced tomatoes that the meal would taste like tomatoes, but I didn't realize how tomatoey (Is that a word?).  The meal was not horrible just overpowered by tomatoes.  

2. All Italian sausages have caraway seeds 
Wednesday night's meal was from skinnytaste.com.  My sister gets recipes from this site so I gave one of her top 20 skinny meals from 2011 a try.  I tried the pasta with Italian chicken sausage, peppers, and escarole.  I am not a fan of bell peppers, but I'm trying to be healthy and broaden my horizons. Nancy came over and helped out with the preparation. As we were eating the pasta, I realized the chicken sausage had caraway seeds, which I'm not a fan of.  Nancy informed me the seeds are what make the chicken sausage... Italian. Nancy's cooking ability > Elisabeth's cooking ability.

3. I should not be allowed to cook chicken.
Tonight I made another one of the top 20 skinny meals: chicken rollatini with spinach alla parmigiana. This meal was by far the best of the three.  It looked slightly complicated, but turned out to be relatively easy.  The only problem is when I cook anything with chicken I cook the meal FOREVER. This is usually the what happens;  I take chicken out of the oven, cut a piece off, inspect it under the light, call Andy into the kitchen to look, Andy rolls his eye and says "It's fine", I hesitantly say "Are you sure", Andy rolls his eyes again and says "Whatever, just cook it some more", and then put it back in the oven.  Andy likes chicken, but hates when it is for dinner, because he knows the process.  I have to give myself a little pat on the back tonight, because I only put it back in the oven for 6 minutes. The chicken was cooked and the meal was excellent.  

I'm looking forward to eating out this weekend, especially the Food Truck Rodeo downtown Charleston on Saturday!! :)

1 comment:

  1. You forgot rule
    #4. Don't let Nancy loose in the kitchen to finish the recipe when it includes red pepper flakes.
    The meal was still delicious despite what you thought.

    ReplyDelete